What to Bring and Leave Behind
The Site & Weather
The course site is located up in the mountains a bit it on the rainy side of the island so it can be warm, but also cool at night, plus wet at times. The rooms and the meditation hall are not climate-controlled so be prepared to accommodate this environment.
We provide a cot or bed. Bedding is NOT offered so you will need to bring your own sheets, pillow, and a warm blanket or sleeping bag. Many like to bring an inflatable sleeping mattress to put on top of their cot.
We supply a large floor cushion and a small sitting cushion for every student. Please feel free to bring extra sitting and/or knee cushions that help you to be comfortable while meditating.
Dress should be simple, modest, and comfortable. All students should observe the rules for modest dress as outlined in the Code of Discipline. Pants or skirts that cover your knees while you are seated are acceptable. Midsection and shoulders should also be covered. Shorts, tank tops, transparent, tight or revealing clothing, etc. are not permitted. Tights or leggings should be worn only under a knee-length top or skirt/dress. Sunbathing and partial nudity are not permitted. This is important in order to minimize distraction to others.
Washing machines are NOT available, but there will be hand clothes washing stations for your use. At certain times of the day, you may wash your clothes and hang them to dry.
For the comfort of the other students, please do not bring any perfumes or scented creams, powders, lotions, etc. You may bring the following items for your use:
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Bath soap
- Shampoo / conditioner
- Unscented deodorant / lotion
- Shaving / female sanitary supplies
- Mosquito repellent
Please carry all your prescribed medicines that you regularly use for the entire duration of your course. You may also carry your doctor’s prescriptions.
Other Important Items
Some other important items to bring:
- Personal cups, dishes, and utensils
- Drinking water bottle
- Small umbrella
- Watch and/or a non-ticking alarm clock
- Walking shoes if you want to do any walking exercise during the course.
- Footwear: shoes for mud, easy slip-ons shoes ( e.g. clogs, flip flops, etc.), shawl or light blanket for use in the meditation hall.
Do Not Bring
You are requested not to bring any of the following items with you to the course:
- Tobacco / alcohol / non-prescribed drugs
- Musical instruments
- Books, diaries, journals and other reading/writing materials
- Camera / recording devices / CD players / radios / electronic equipment
- Cellular telephones / laptops / communication devices
- Religious or spiritual objects, such as amulets, rosaries, blessing cords, pictures, incense, crystals, etc.
- Jewelry and unnecessary valuables
Note: If you arrive with any of the above items, they will need to be checked in with the management on the first day. Checked items will be returned when the course is over. Your valuables will be locked away, but are kept on the site at your own risk. The management is not liable for any loss or damage to your valuables.